Originally the North of Grand neighborhood was part of Greenwood Park, a former independent town and early Des Moines suburb. Greenwood Park was platted in 1886. Its original boundaries extended from Center Street (north) to Grand Avenue (south), and from 38thSt. (east) to 42nd Street (west). It was later subdivided, as indicated by these plat names:

  • W.L. White’s Subdivision;
  • Greenwood Heights;
  • Glaha Place;
  • Dennis Place;
  • Osbun Place; and
  • Kenworthy Place.

The area was developed in the late 1800s. A streetcar line was constructed in the early 1900s, and connected Des Moines with Valley Junction. The safe, affordable, convenient, tree-lined neighborhood remains popular today due to its close proximity to Ingersoll businesses, downtown, the bus line, well-established churches, quality schools, and naturally, historic architecture.

Click on photos to learn more…


Leave a Reply